Crash when installing a new scenery (Possible Threshold)

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
asadkamal

Re: Crash when installing a new scenery (Possible Threshold)

Post by asadkamal »

Please add one more to the list. I have run into the exact same issue. Can only have 147 Active after which I start getting a CTD when trying to start a scenario.

Regards,
Asad
Brad Shiver
Lockheed Martin

Post by Brad Shiver »

Hey all,

Due to the amount of add-ons it will be hard to pinpoint the issue. We are investigating but so far cannot recreate the crash.

If you have Visual Studio 2015, could you provide us with a crash dump when it occurs again?

When Prepar3D crashes, the option to debug through Visual Studio should appear. Attach to the Prepar3D process and then go to Debug --> Save Dump As to save the memory dump. Feel free to upload that to Dropbox or some other file server and PM me a link. Make sure you provide the full version number with each dump.

More details here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d5zhxt22.aspx

-Brad
Clifton Crane
Lockheed Martin

Post by Clifton Crane »

Hello,

We believe we have resolved this issue. The fix will be available in the next release.

Thanks!
Clifton Crane
Prepar3D® Software Engineer Sr.
B77X

Post by B77X »

Clifton Crane wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:00 pm Hello,

We believe we have resolved this issue. The fix will be available in the next release.

Thanks!
In 4.1 the issue is not fixed, instead of a freeze and CTD before the loading screen now it takes 10 minutes to load, but all the textures are corrupted. After that first load, now every time P3D starts the create scenario screen all the airplanes are black with no texture and loading into the sim the textures do not all show properly.
JPL19

Post by JPL19 »

B77X wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:22 am In 4.1 the issue is not fixed, instead of a freeze and CTD before the loading screen now it takes 10 minutes to load, but all the textures are corrupted. After that first load, now every time P3D starts the create scenario screen all the airplanes are black with no texture and loading into the sim the textures do not all show properly.
Hello,

Just jumping in to say that I did have this issue and it is fixed in 4.1 for me. Regarding the black airplanes / corrupted textures - I had what seems like a similar issue on most but not all AC upon installing 4.1 client. Through trial and error I have found that the Twentynine Palms / Twentynine Palms airport *seems* to have an issue. Once I deactivated it my AC are all normal.

Just passing this on in case it helps.

Joe L.
B77X

Post by B77X »

JPL19 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:38 am
B77X wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:22 am In 4.1 the issue is not fixed, instead of a freeze and CTD before the loading screen now it takes 10 minutes to load, but all the textures are corrupted. After that first load, now every time P3D starts the create scenario screen all the airplanes are black with no texture and loading into the sim the textures do not all show properly.
Hello,

Just jumping in to say that I did have this issue and it is fixed in 4.1 for me. Regarding the black airplanes / corrupted textures - I had what seems like a similar issue on most but not all AC upon installing 4.1 client. Through trial and error I have found that the Twentynine Palms / Twentynine Palms airport *seems* to have an issue. Once I deactivated it my AC are all normal.

Joe L.
Joe thanks that was it. Pulled lots of my hair out trying to help figure out how to get it all back to normal on defaults. On our 3rd re-install before I read your reply. Oh well!!
B77X

Post by B77X »

JPL19 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:38 am
Hello,

Joe L.
too late to edit but black textures have returned I will look at other addon scenery if it is causing that
B77X

Post by B77X »

This is not fixed the bug is now not loading all the textures properly, I moved all the addon folders to the desktop and P3Dv4.1 launched with the textures loaded. Adding some scenery back group by group now this is the same bug as before but instead of freezing before loading it now just corrupts the textures until you remove addons.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

B77X,

Does a specific add-on cause the texture errors you are seeing? Did you run the "Delete Generated Files" shortcut in the Prepar3D directory before reinstalling scenery?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
B77X

Post by B77X »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:32 am B77X,

Does a specific add-on cause the texture errors you are seeing? Did you run the "Delete Generated Files" shortcut in the Prepar3D directory before reinstalling scenery?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
I did a new install of p3dv4.1 that loaded all the addon.xml files from the old p3d on first load and took 10 minutes to start, stuck mostly on loading generated scenery in the progress bar of the loading screen. I removed all the xml files in the mydocuments and p3dv4.1 started and had no texture issue. I can tell it is going to load by the scenario screen if the rotating airplane is all black the textures failed to load. These addons are scenery that other people load fine just like the first bug in p3dv4.0 the threshold for me seems random not assigned to a certain scenery addon.
JPL19

Post by JPL19 »

JPL19 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:38 am Hello,

. . .
I have to report that I thought the issue was solved, but, using GSX from FSDT I had numerous items with no / corrupt textures. I then looked through each aircraft in the selection menu and found that while most of the black aircraft were gone there were indeed still several that had black/ missing textures. I reverted to 4.0.28.21686 and instantly that problem was gone, with the original issue back in place.

Joe
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

For those experiencing issues with textures how many add-on sceneries do you have intalled? Also are the textures missing or are incorrect textures being loaded?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
JPL19

Post by JPL19 »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:20 pm For those experiencing issues with textures how many add-on sceneries do you have intalled? Also are the textures missing or are incorrect textures being loaded?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
476 Total, 65 in two add-ons.cfg and 411 in scenery.cfg.

I saw both missing textures (black) and some incorrect textures as well.

Joe L.
B77X

Post by B77X »

Rob McCarthy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:20 pm For those experiencing issues with textures how many add-on sceneries do you have intalled? Also are the textures missing or are incorrect textures being loaded?

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
31 entries in the add-ons.cfg
233 scenery.cfg

There are textures on the models but not the right textures.
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

Hi Rob,

I also just started having this issue (as in yesterday) with V4.1 under Windows 10 with their recent KB installs which as I understand might have a bug in the D3DCompiler*.dll that wraps calls to DX shaders ... however I have NOT installed KB4041676 but I do have KB4038788 and KB4040724 installed.

So far the issue seems to be affecting Virtuali (FSDT) vehicles only (but I have not tested every single scenery add-on I have installed, tested many but not all) and NOT all of the vehicles have missing textures, just "Some". I made several videos here demonstrating the issue with textures:

https://youtu.be/b_puw522cjI

https://youtu.be/mhzjDTX4QLw

Also to be noted there are NO errors in the ContentError log nor SceneryError log that indicate missing files.

I also disable just about everything in my DLL.XML and EXE.XML, cleared out shaders cache, etc. etc.
My scenery library has 257 entries, my add-on entries are 42.

I'm running nVidia Titan X pascal 387.92 drivers.

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough