Crash when installing a new scenery (Possible Threshold)

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
JPL19

Re: Crash when installing a new scenery (Possible Threshold)

Post by JPL19 »

Here is an observation - for what it is worth. Just posting in case it points in a worthwhile direction. This is only happening in the 4.1 release, in 4.0 everything displays properly.

Regarding black aircraft - I looked at differences between what AC displayed correctly and what did not. For me, the base / default Maule was black. F-35 displayed properly.

I found I can make the Maule paints show by substituting the texture.cfg from an aircraft that is displaying properly.

Here is an example:
ORIGINAL Texture.cfg - BAD (Black):
[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\Texture
fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\Texture
fallback.4=..\..\..\..\..\..\Content\Scenery\Global\Texture

CHANGED TO:
[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

Again, not saying texture.cfg files are the problem, just an observation.

Joe L.

Running 4.1.7.22841 vs. 4.0.28.21686 in Win 10 x64 Home, Nvidia 1080Ti 385.41
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

Hi Joe,

Interesting ... I'm actually not seeing this issue on any aircraft, only airport vehicles and only "some" airport vehicles. But it sounds like you're suggesting fallback beyond 3 might be the source of this issue ... or did I not understand correctly?

But it's a clue, I'll do some experimentation tonight.

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough
B77X

Post by B77X »

Rob Ainscough wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:46 pm Hi Joe,

Interesting ... I'm actually not seeing this issue on any aircraft, only airport vehicles and only "some" airport vehicles. But it sounds like you're suggesting fallback beyond 3 might be the source of this issue ... or did I not understand correctly?

Cheers, Rob.
If I add more scenery by creating addon.xml files eventually I start getting models and the full textures of the globe have this texture corruption. I had to remove addon.xml for Taxigate LFPG, and some other addons that should be compatible in p3d4.1. On p3d4.0 if these addons are added then p3d freezes before the loading screen. In 4.1 the textures are corrupted.
JPL19

Post by JPL19 »

Rob Ainscough wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:46 pm Hi Joe,

Cheers, Rob.
Hi Rob,

I see it as not just the sheer number of entries, but, perhaps that is part of it. I can not find a rhyme or reason yet. It does seem that repeating / cyclic entries in the texture.cfg may be part of it.

By trial and error I can get anything I try to display properly.

For instance I can get various FSDT items to display by deleting a single line in the texture.cfg:

(FSDT_Baggage_Loader\texture.MENZ)
BAD - [fltsim]
fallback.1=..\..\FSDT_Baggage_Loader\texture.blue
fallback.2=..\..\FSDT_Baggage_Loader\texture.01
fallback.3=..\..\FSDT_Staircase\texture.MENZ
fallback.4=..\..\FSDT_Staircase\texture.01
fallback.5=..\..\FSDT_Marshaller\texture.blue
fallback.6=..\..\FSDT_Marshaller\texture.01

GOOD - [fltsim]
fallback.1=..\..\FSDT_Baggage_Loader\texture.blue

fallback.3=..\..\FSDT_Staircase\texture.MENZ
fallback.5=..\..\FSDT_Marshaller\texture.blue
fallback.6=..\..\FSDT_Marshaller\texture.01

Looking at the FSDT texture.cfg files it is almost a circular reference with fallbacks pointing almost endlessly to various others. Not saying anybody did anything wrong, wondering if 4.1 changed something to how that is handled?

I also have an issue withthe PMDG 737-900 not displaying. The 800 is fine. I can get the 900 to display by deleting a line in the texture.cfg:

(PMDG 737-900NGX\texture.PMDG)
BAD - [fltsim]
fallback.1=..\..\PMDG 737-800NGX\texture.vc
fallback.2=..\texture.900
fallback.3=..\..\PMDG 737-800NGX\texture.common
fallback.4=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
fallback.5=..\..\..\..\texture

GOOD - [fltsim]
fallback.1=..\..\PMDG 737-800NGX\texture.vc
fallback.2=..\texture.900

fallback.4=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
fallback.5=..\..\..\..\texture

I am just experimenting (and backing up the cfg files). Don't want to totally muck things up, but, something for me changed in 4.0 to 4.1. I can go back to 4.0 at will and the issue is gone.

Joe
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

Thanks for the update/info ... not much I can do right now, but will experiment tonight.

I have both PMDG 737 and the T2G LFPG so I can check those also.

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

The more I experiment with this the more I think it's a shader problem, but this one really has me puzzled.

If someone who is having this problem could try the following:

1. Setup a flight in P3D v4.1 at dusk and save the flight (make sure DL is enabled)
2. Exit P3D V4.1
3. Delete your shaders folder
4. Run P3D V4.1 and load the flight saved in step 1
5. Wait for the scene to fully render and then activate GSX (select options and service types you know has missing textures issue)
6. Verify your vehicles are missing textures
7. change the time from dusk to day (any time so long as it's day) and wait for scene to render

Do all or most of your vehicles have correct textures now?

I ran the above at AS LEBL with PMDG 737-900 and GSX.

video is unlisted: https://youtu.be/ySEWhARxqwM

Cheers, Rob
Rob Ainscough
B77X

Post by B77X »

Rob Ainscough wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:48 am The more I experiment with this the more I think it's a shader problem, but this one really has me puzzled.

If someone who is having this problem could try the following:

1. Setup a flight in P3D v4.1 at dusk and save the flight (make sure DL is enabled)
2. Exit P3D V4.1
3. Delete your shaders folder
4. Run P3D V4.1 and load the flight saved in step 1
5. Wait for the scene to fully render and then activate GSX (select options and service types you know has missing textures issue)
6. Verify your vehicles are missing textures
7. change the time from dusk to day (any time so long as it's day) and wait for scene to render

Do all or most of your vehicles have correct textures now?

I ran the above at AS LEBL with PMDG 737-900 and GSX.

video is unlisted: https://youtu.be/ySEWhARxqwM

Cheers, Rob
Adding too many addon scenery the create a scenario screen does not texture the aircraft is that preview window showing the aircraft also using shaders?
JPL19

Post by JPL19 »

Hi Rob,

I tried your suggestion - no joy.

Some observations -
1) I have black textures, what seemed corrected in your example were corrupt textures? But, it looks as if the tug is and remained black throughout your exercise? That is what I am experiencing.
2) I believe it may not be corrupt textures for the black displays, but something else.

Here are three images, all are from the very same session without exiting / restarting, just modifying the texture.cfg and resetting and restarting GSX. I am choosing Iberia each time. I can go back and forth, results are the same as the screen shots each time.

Original texture.cfg (note what shows- base vehicle texture, Jet Aviation logo, no driver texture):
[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\..\FSDT_Marshaller\texture.red
fallback.2=..\..\FSDT_Marshaller\texture.01
fallback.3=..\..\FSDT_Staircase\texture.IB
fallback.5=..\..\FSDT_Baggage_Loader\texture.01
fallback.6=..\..\FSDT_BaggageTractor\texture

Modified 1 (note no vehicle texture, Iberia logo and blue suited driver):
[fltsim]
fallback.2=..\..\FSDT_Marshaller\texture.01

Modified 2 (Note no vehicle texture or logo,red suited driver):
[fltsim]

fallback.5=..\..\FSDT_Baggage_Loader\texture.01

Note that the red suited driver on the loader stays the same each time, and it is called using the same "fallback" lines, though in a different position in the cfg for the Iberia loader (not tractor). So the texture itself seems ok, just not getting to the the tractor, for some reason.

Perhaps the corrupt texture issue and no texture issue are related somehow?

Thanks for your looking into this.

Joe
mickham29

Aircraft textures 4.1

Post by mickham29 »

Hi After updating to 4.1 many of my aircraft addons are showing in the preview screen and in sim with corrupted textures.
I thought that it was coinciding with the latest pmdg op center update but have since found that even the default aircraft are affected.I have cleared the shaders folder but that did not help.I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the content and client modules but that did not help either.As for the PMDG{mainly747v2}I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the liveries.
Any help please
Regards M.Hamilton
B77X

Re: Aircraft textures 4.1

Post by B77X »

mickham29 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:53 pm Hi After updating to 4.1 many of my aircraft addons are showing in the preview screen and in sim with corrupted textures.
I thought that it was coinciding with the latest pmdg op center update but have since found that even the default aircraft are affected.I have cleared the shaders folder but that did not help.I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the content and client modules but that did not help either.As for the PMDG{mainly747v2}I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the liveries.
Any help please
Regards M.Hamilton
I found that I had to remove many scenery addons from the p3d addons folder in my documents for p3d to start with correct textures. But in game there are still corrupt textures on some gsx vehicles.
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

As a test, I added three new 3rd party add-ons (to my long list of existing add-ons):

1. Aerosoft Barcelona
2. FSDT Louisville
3. Just Flight DCH-3 Otter

Now the F22 and a few other aircraft are experiencing black textures (there weren't prior to add these 3 add-ons). So I'm going to suggest that there is definitely a problem with "add-on" count that seems to be causing this issue in V4.1 only. Perhaps some performance optimization that was perhaps a little to aggressive.

Given that people are reporting V4.0 doesn't have this problem and/or reverting back to V4.0 doesn't have this problem, I'm fairly confident this is a bug LM will need to investigate and resolve.

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough
JPL19

Post by JPL19 »

A short term work around for me is to go into the add-ons.cfg file and change Active=TRUE to Active=FALSE for any areas I am not using. For instance, flying in Europe currently, so I changed all my North America and Asia sceneries to false. This seems to solve the issue of black AC and GSX simobjects both, if enough are changed (currently 40 of 63 are FALSE in my add-ons.cfg). I use EditPad Lite and the changes can be done pretty quick with its search and search/replace options.

Of course, don't try if your not comfortable with such edits, and, as always, back up anything you are going to touch.

Joe
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

Hi Joe,

Users can disable Add-ons and scenery entries all within P3D UI, no need to manually edit .cfg files.

Testing now to see how many I have to disable in order to resolve the missing texture issue.

Cheers, Rob
Rob Ainscough
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

So the issues seems to be add-ons in User\documents, I can have a max of 27:

131 additional 3rd party scenery/airport (via scenery.cfg)
27 additional 3rd party scenery/airport via Add-Ons folder (Uses\Documents)
114 additional 3rd party aircraft add-ons
93 additional AI 3rd party aircraft add-ons
------
365 add-ons total

Cheers, Rob.
Rob Ainscough
Skipy

Post by Skipy »

Hi,

Thanks for identifying the bug and for giving the workaround. I used Lorby-SI AddonOrganizer_P3D_V4 to inactive all addons from Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder I don't use for a flight and GSX textures are back! I noticed that F-22 Raptor was "black" but thought it was a new livery!

I hope we'll have a fix soon.

Skip.